Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Dorries!

I just feel like talking about dolls right now.

So, as you may have noticed, I like dolls. Not just any dolls, not Barbies, not Pullips or Blythes, not Tonner or Avantgaurds or any sort of American 'fashion' dolls, and certainly not creepy old antique dolls, eugh! No thank you. No.

I like BJDs.

For those of you tuning in now, BJD stands for 'Ball Jointed Doll', also known sometimes as ABJD, or 'Asian Ball Jointed Doll'. Please note that the word 'Doll' is already in the acronym, and that you sound like an idiot when you say 'Man, that BJD doll sure looks cool!'

So what the hell is it? What is a ball jointed doll? Well, as the name might imply, it's a doll that has ball-and-socket joints in order for it to pose in different ways. The doll is also hollow, and is strung on the inside with elastic to help it hold the pose you want. BJDs typically have 14 points of articulation: the neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, torso, hips, knees, and ankles. BJDs are also extremely, RIDICULOUSLY customizable! They come in a range of colors, the most common being 'normal skin' and 'white skin', though there are some unusual colors out there, like grey, purple, blue, red, pink, green. No, really. Look. You can put heads on bodies from different companies and change the doll's wig and eyes, allowing for limitless combinations. Another big thing in changing the way a doll looks is its faceup.

What's a faceup? Imagine a Barbie's face without any paint. Pretty weird, yeah? BJDs also have their faces painted, but it is much more easily removed, and usually done with a combination of chalk pastels, watercolor pencils, and acrylic paint. This is called a faceup. A lot of dolls can be bought with faceups from the company, called default faceups or factory faceups, but for people like me, who like to paint their doll's faceups themselves, there are dolls that can be bought blank. There are also people who are ridiculously awesome at faceups, and people will pay them to paint their dolls for them. Out of my six full dolls and five 'floating heads' (doll heads that are temporarily without bodies), only three of them were painted by other people. The rest are done by me.

Which brings me to MY DOLLS. My loves, my friends, my pride and joy. As I mentioned before, I currently have six complete dolls and five floating heads, with another body and head on the way. (I mention them separately because they are for different dolls!) Every doll has a character, and every character has a story, or at the very least a world to live in, be it another version of this world or one of the imagination. It would be so easy, SO EASY to talk about my dolls' characters for hours, days even, but I don't have time for that right now, and I'm sure you don't either. So, for your convenience, I'm going to write a list instead. (If there isn't a body listed next to a doll, it has the default body that the head would come with. Also, unless otherwise stated, all dolls are painted by me. Warning! Body links may contain dollie nudity!)

Full dolls:
Ian is a migidoll Ryu. He is painted by ShallowSleep.
April is a modified Soom Taco\Dolomi\Syen hybrid. (And even though he has a girl's name, yes, he is a BOY.)
June is a modified Soom Ai.
Moss is a Soom Beyla (human version) on a Fairyland Littlefee girl body.
Wren is a Soom Yrie on a Fairyland Littlefee girl body.
Buckwheat is a Fairyland Realpuki Roro.

Floating heads:
Eleana is an Elfdoll Soah, and will someday be on a Luts Delf body. She is painted by ShallowSleep.
Johanna is a Soom special order Galena, and will someday be on a Fairyland Feeple65 body.
Augustine is a migidoll Jina, and will someday be on a Limhwa body. She is painted by Krowbar.
Caroline is an Elfdoll Reminisce Lydia in snow skin, and will someday be on a Supia single-joint body. (as opposed to Supia's new, double-joint body)
'Max' Maxine is an Alchemic Labo Unoa Sist, and will be on a Bimong Narae body very soon! (It has yet to be shipped from Korea. Also I can't provide a link to the company picture because the company stopped selling it.)

On the way:
Max's Bimong Narae body!
Rot is a Soom Photon Reaper skull head, and will someday be on a Resinsoul bigger boy body. His head is currently on layaway!

aaaaaaand
WISHLIST:
Olivia will be a Volks SD16 Kira.
Eileen will be a Supia Roda on an Iplehouse nYID small bust body.
Cyrus will be a light tan Iplehouse SID Felix.

Wow! That's FIFTEEN DOLLS in total! And at the same time, wow, that's only fifteen dolls! It's all relative. There are people with only one doll, there are people with over a hundred dolls. I know someone with over forty dolls. I saw a picture of a collection of about seventy-five dolls. To me, personally, I think fifteen dolls is just fine. Not too many, and certainly not too few. It should do me.... for now....

As my Grandma always says, (for she is also a doll person, and recently bought her first BJD, a Limhwa ToYou Sara), 'The best doll is always the next one.'




(Sorry if I left out, like... half of what I originally intended to write. It's late and I've forgotten what it was. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, and I'll try to cover them in another blog post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment